Mia, M.I.A. StencylJam201 Mia, M.I.A. StencylJam201

Well, I wasn't really sure what to make of this.

The graphics/art are ok in places, but mostly seem out of place. Also, the tree looks like it has writing/stuff on it (was it taken from somewhere?) Controls feel mostly ok, but the player character just doesn't work for me. Player collision and animations seem off when you move around/jump etc. Not to mention the 10 minute task I had of trying to climb the vines (?) Apart from a short intro peice of music, there is barely any sound through what I played, but for the player grunts and noises, shooting sounds.

After climbing the vine thing, and running a little more to the right, I climbed a pile of something, dropped the other side, passed a robot alien thing shooting at me, and then ran to the edge of a cliff. I assume this is as far as the game goes, as you just fall off and die? (when she falls off, she doesnt actually die - just lands off screen, as you can still hear the player noises).

So.. overall, while I've tried to be honest and give my view of what I played - I feel it needs alot more work as it is, in quite a lot of areas, otherwise I feel Mia is gonna be stuck on the strange planet forever.

I think 2 stars is about right - for the effort at least.

TapDroid responds:

OK, everything you said is a bit on the biased side.

osirisrtosirisrt : Graphics are out of place:
ME: It's a strange and different planet.

osirisrtosirisrt : the player character just doesn't work for me...
ME: You don't like girls?

osirisrtosirisrt : collision and animations seem off when you move around/jump etc.
ME: Yeh, I'm a bit new at this...

osirisrtosirisrt : 10 minute task I had of trying to climb the vines
ME: Um, ready,? and, JUMP, now hit the climb button. First time?

osirisrtosirisrt : Moving around I had invisible collisions stopping me from going places, which is fair enough - but it may have been nicer to have actual 'visible' things blocking my path so I had a better idea of what it was, instead of just stopping dead - so I had a clearer view of where I was allowed to go.

ME: ?

osirisrtosirisrt :edge of a cliff. I assume this is as far as the game goes
Me: No, turn around, you may have missed something...

SARCO SARCO

A simple and relatively short game. I liked the art/style and the feel/atmosphere kinda worked nicely. Simple controls and tasks you have to complete - but I just liked it regardless.

Would really like to see something 3 or 4 times the size of this with more to do if it is to be extended or continued - maybe more interaction too. Otherwise for what it is, I quite liked it.

Worp Worp

Visually its fairly simple but kinda works. The mechanic is interesting too and the controls are simple enough. But for me personally, my main issue is the difficulty. I also find the stop/start music (which is fine, when you can listen to it for any length if you dont keep dying), a little annoying. The font right side issue I also noticed, but I believe this is maybe a Stencyl issue.

My review score reflects the simple clear style and mechanic mostly which I quite like - but as someone also said below, I can't go much higher because there isn't much to the game, and there are others that offer more that deserve a higher rating.

Could do well on mobile. Good luck with it either way.

Jumper 3: Revival Jumper 3: Revival

Needs more work (as you mention in your comments already its unfinished), and as such I can't really rate it higher unfortunately. Controls need working on, there's no real goal to anything, the music could do with changing (too repetative),loading screens that aren't necessary - and many other things, which I'm sure your aware of.

(just to add, I noticed the stencyljam tag - regardless of how finished or not this is - im not sure games that have been worked on for weeks/months prior to the jam starting, would be deemed fair entries.)

Good luck continuing your work on it anyhow, and I hope you can improve it where needed.

Domestic Domestic

Not really sure what to make of it. I guess you could have almost made the cat walk on its own without user input. (at least for the duration i tried it you didn't do anything other than walk left/right).

I got as far as the bedroom and the character went off to get food for kitty, but the music just played and I'm guessing it hung/crashed or somethin as the screen went black.

As someone says, more a limited interactive story.

AgonyTheCrux responds:

The game did not hang-since you are hiding under the bed, that scene takes place in darkness with you just "hearing" the conversation. And yeah, I could have made the cat walk on its own, but then it wouldn't be a game anymore, would it?

Vikings Short Life Vikings Short Life

An endless type running jumper game. Presentation is ok and art/actors are nice too. Felt a little unresponsive on the main/title area - couldn't seem to start the game, kept clicking and nothing, until it happened to start.

Gameplay is, well, its an endless runner game with extras! Nothing astounding, but done ok anyhow - although I did think you had to be quite precise with some jumps, and some jumps to higher levels punished you too easily if you didn't click at just the right split-second, then you bounce back and die on spikes!

brueh responds:

Hi, Osiris rt! This is a very simple game, i know. The right way to start is clicking in the main logo, or pressing X, but there is no messages about it... my mistake =/.

This game is not completely endless, because there is some ways to get to the end of the game.

One tip for the jumps: you can still jump if you fall out of the platforms =)

Edit: Press X to start appears in the main screen. -> Fixed =D.

Sketch Demo Sketch Demo

General presentation isn't too bad - but using old stencyl forge art Im not sure about (drawing sketch type game art isn't too hard - could have maybe done some yourself?). Music choice is ok, general feel isn't bad control-wise - and difficulty is about right. Muting music mutes everything (though saying that there isn't really much in way of other sound fx). Overall average/ok, but certainly add more levels and try to polish it more. :)

ipodlover3354 responds:

This is only a demo. This isn't completed level wise.

sidesplitter sidesplitter

Interesting simple idea, and fairly well implemented too. Gfx and presentation is on the simpler side, but serves its purpose. One of the better entries I've tried in the Jam (so far). Good luck!

StomachBug responds:

Hey glad you enjoyed it!

GumBall Madness GumBall Madness

A fairly simple avoider game - avoid the coloured balls. Wasn't a fan of the limited 4 way direction movement. Simple gfx and sound, maybe could have been better - but suits the game/style I guess. Presentation and general design could have been improved.

Average overall.

Swimy Jellyfish stencylja Swimy Jellyfish stencylja

Not very good - really needed more work.. gfx , sound, presentation etc.